BE PART OF THE NEXT SHERFORD BIOBLITZ
Pollenize is a multi-award-winning pollinator conservation Community Interest Company based right here in Plymouth. It combines community rewilding, artificial intelligence and scientific research to protect pollinators and the planet... and its next big project is taking place in Sherford - and you can take part.
This revolutionary conservation organisation has created a biodiversity tracking tool - called Floradex - that uses a dynamic stats package, built with the University of Plymouth. This will allow their team and local communities to continually make green space better and more biodiverse. But it takes people power to make the project work.
Sherford has already won awards for its approach to sustainability and and commitment to enhancing and enriching the landscape. The Sherford Consortium - a partnership between award-winning national housebuilders, Taylor Wimpey & Vistry Group, which includes Countryside Partnerships, Linden Homes and Bovis Homes - recognises the potential of this new project with Pollenize and is pleased to support it.
The first and vital stage of this project is for Pollenize to run 'Bioblitz' surveys at Sherford. These are short, intensive surveys of biodiversity in a specific area. The local community is the study group that captures the data.
The first Bioblitz survey took place on 4th August, has taken , with a group of adults and children working alongside the Pollenize team to capture almost 450 observations of over 150 different species of plants and animals in Sherford’s Country Park.
How to get involved:
- The first bioblitz survey will take place on Tuesday 5th September
- Friends of the Country Park and Sherford Residents Panel will be lending their support
- Any other residents keen to help, please email Amy Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download the iNaturalist app here
- Take pictures of your observations of plants, fungi and animals around the area
- Ensure that your photos are of good quality (clear, high resolution) and upload your findings to the iNaturalist app
- Take a look for more information: Sherford Bioblitz Poster
What happens after that:
- This data can be used to identify any gaps in biodiversity
- Pollenize will use this information to create tailored seed prescriptions to improve biodiversity
- This will make Sherford even greener and help the environment to flourish.
More bioblitz surveys will follow in the coming months and we will keep you posted on how this exciting environmental project unfolds.